Last Revised: July 2018
General Privacy Statement
Roche Diagnostics is committed to protecting your personal information. This Privacy Notice outlines the types of personal information we may collect; the means by which we may collect, use, or share your personal information; the steps we take to protect your personal information; and the choices you are provided with respect to the use of your personal information.
- For purposes of this Privacy Notice, "Personal Data" is any information by which you can be individually identified, including, but not limited to, your name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number.
- This Notice only applies to Roche websites that link to this Notice.
- Our websites also may contain links to third-party websites.
- We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of third-party websites or resources, and our privacy notice does not apply to any sites that are not affiliated with Roche, even if you access them via a link on our site.
- You should review the privacy policies of any third-party site before providing any information.
1. Privacy Statement for Minors
This website is not designed or intended for use by children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Data from anyone under the age of 16 without the prior, verifiable consent of a parent or guardian. Such parent or guardian may have the right, upon request, to view the information provided by the child and require that it be deleted. Moreover, all minors should seek their parent's or guardian's permission prior to using or disclosing any Personal Data on this web site or online resource.
2. Information Collected
Summary - On this website, we may request Personal Data about you in order to process a request, provide access to certain services, or personalize your experience. Examples of Personal Data that directly identify you include your name, contact information, email address, and other information in combination with such identifiers. Our websites may also collect Personal Data that does not directly identify you by name or contact information but which may be used to identify that a specific computer or device has accessed our website. Several places on our website require Personal Data if you choose to use them, including surveys, registration, and content sharing features (i.e., "E-mail to a Friend" links). Roche and its business partners collect this information about you only if you voluntarily provide it to us. Please be aware that certain features of this site may not be available to you if you elect not to provide certain Personal Data. Any Personal Data you provide to us will be used in accordance with this Privacy Notice. Personal Data that we may collect includes:
- Contact Information. We collect this information in order to be able to communicate with you. This information may include your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, job title, age, and other information you provide on our website. Where we solicit this information, we will explain how the information you provide is to be used and ask for your consent to such uses. It is your choice as to whether to provide your Personal Data and consent to such uses.
- Interests and Preferences. This information helps us understand your interest in our products and services so that we can best serve you. This information may include contact and product preferences, languages, marketing preferences and demographic data. In some cases, we collect this information pursuant to your consent. In other cases, we collect this information automatically, for our legitimate business interests.
- Transaction History. This information helps us fulfil services you have requested and to understand your interests and preferences. This includes how you interact with us and use our websites, purchase and correspondence history, and customer account information. Where you have purchased a product or service from us, we use this information in order to perform our agreement with you. In other cases, we collect this information automatically, for our legitimate business interests.
- Security Information. We use this information to secure our websites, network systems, and other assets. This may include information concerning your IP Address, geographic location, resources you have accessed, and similar information. We collect this information automatically, for our legitimate business interests.
Further Information - Certain areas of our websites and online resources allow you to submit your Personal Data to us. For example, you may subscribe to a Roche mailing list or newsletter. We may use the information you provide to send you requested information, respond to your inquiry, improve our websites, verify your relationship with Roche, and take other actions that may be necessary to respond to your request.
a. Where permitted by law, we may combine Personal Data you provide with other information you’ve provided to Roche through our websites. Where permitted by law, we may also combine Personal Data collected through our websites and online resources with Roche’s offline records and information provided to us by third parties. We use this consolidated information to improve our website and online resources, enhance our marketing activities, better design our offerings, and facilitate other business functions.
b. Our websites and online resources also collect other basic information about you which does not directly identify you but which may correspond with you or a particular device. We use this information to learn more about how our websites and online resources are used and to otherwise improve and administer the site. We also use this information to enable us to deliver information tailored to your interests and preferences, based on your use of the site. For example, we may collect the Internet Protocol Address assigned to your computer by your internet service provider. This address may change each time you connect to the internet (a "dynamic" IP address), or it may remain the same (a "static" IP address). In most cases, this information is collected automatically, for our legitimate business interests. In some jurisdictions, we are required to ask for your consent before collecting this information, in which case you will be presented with a choice as to whether you wish to allow the collection and use of this type of information.
d. Web Beacons On certain web pages or in emails we send to you, we may utilize a technology called a "web beacon" (also known as an "action tag" or "clear GIF technology"). We may use web beacons to help determine which email messages sent by us were opened and whether a message was acted upon. Web beacons also help analyze the effectiveness of websites by measuring the number of visitors to a site or how many visitors clicked on key elements of a site.
e. Social Plugins This site may use social plugins (e.g., the Facebook "Like" button) to enable you to easily share information with others. When you visit our site, the operator of the social plugin may be able to place a cookie on your computer, enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited our site. If you have previously logged into the associated social media website (e.g., Facebook) before browsing on our website, the social plugin allows that social media website to receive information about your visit to particular pages on our website. The social plugin may collect this information for any such visitors who have logged into social networks, whether or not they specifically interact with the plugin on our websites (e.g., by clicking "Like" or "Share"). The social plugin may also allow the social media website to share information about your activities on our websites with other users of their social media website. For further details about the information shared via a particular social media plugin, you should refer to that social media site’s privacy statement.
f. All data collected through this website is retained for 14 months.
g. Certain web browsers and other programs may be used to signal your preferences to Roche about how or whether Roche or third parties may collect information about your online activities. Currently, Roche does not respond to such signals.
4. Use of Your Personal Data
Any Personal Data we collect may be used for the following purposes, the legal basis for which is generally our legitimate business interests:
- For the business purposes of Roche or our business partners, including legally authorized marketing, sales, operational, and financial activities.
- To comply with any requests from you, including requests to receive certain information or share content from this website with another individual.
- To better understand your needs and how we can improve our products and services.
- To communicate with you about products or services that you might find interesting.
- To tailor your experience on our website.
Where permitted by law, we may combine the Personal Data you share with us through this website with other information you have shared with us, both online and offline. We may also combine this Personal Data with records provided by third parties. We use this consolidated information to help us better design Roche products, to communicate information to you, to enhance our marketing and research activities, and to facilitate other business functions.
5. Sharing with Third Parties, Subsidiaries, and Affiliates
We may share Personal Data about you with our subsidiaries and affiliates. In addition, we may share your Personal Data with outside third parties solely for the following purposes:
- To help fulfill Roche business transactions.
- To conduct technical maintenance of our websites and other platforms.
- To facilitate a merger, consolidation, transfer of control or other corporate reorganization in which Roche participates, or pursuant to a financing arrangement undertaken by Roche.
- To respond to appropriate requests of legitimate government authorities, or where required by applicable laws, court orders, or government regulations.
- Where needed for corporate audits or to investigate or respond to a complaint or security threat.
We may also share your Personal Data with other affiliates within our group of companies, in compliance with applicable laws. Any subsidiaries, affiliates, or other business partners with whom we share your Personal Data shall be required to treat such information in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
6. Use of Personal Data for Marketing
7. Data Security
Roche and its business partners take reasonable steps to protect Personal Data we access or receive through this website from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Nevertheless, Roche makes no guarantee as to the security of your Personal Data and disclaims, to the fullest extent permitted by law, all liability and damages caused by loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We recommend that you take any available precautions to protect Personal Data you submit on this website.
8. Data Accuracy
We want to be sure that we keep only the most accurate and up-to-date information about you in our records. Therefore, whenever you believe that your contact information needs to be updated, you can e-mail us to correct or update your contact information.
9. Notice, Choice and Control
Before you provide Personal Data to us, we will provide you with notice (including through this Privacy Notice) about the purposes for which we collect and use Personal Data, how to contact us with any inquiries or complaints, the types of third parties to which we disclose Personal Data, and the choices and means by which you can limit the use and disclosure of your Personal Data. We also will provide you with notice before using or disclosing your Personal Data for a purpose other than for which it was originally collected. If you opt-in for particular services or communications, you will be able to unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions included in each communication or contacting us at any time at the contact information below. If you decide to unsubscribe from a service or communication, we will work to remove your information promptly.
10. Accessing Your Personal Data
Roche is committed to respecting your right to access and correct your Personal Data. You can contact us at the contact information provided below and we will be happy to assist you. Roche may limit or deny access to Personal Data as provided by law, including where providing such access would be unreasonably burdensome or expensive. In some circumstances, Roche may charge a reasonable fee, where warranted, for access to and other requests regarding Personal Data.
11. International Transfers of Your Personal Data
Any Personal Data you provide to us through your use of this website may be transferred to or stored in a geographic region which imposes different privacy obligations than your country of origin. Any such transfer will be conducted in compliance with applicable law.
12. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write to:
Florian Zabel, Chief Privacy Officer, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Group Legal, Grenzacherstrasse 124, CH-4070 Basel, Switzerland. Be sure to include your name and address; you can include your email address if you want to receive a response by email. Otherwise, we will respond by postal mail within the time required by law.
13. Updates to this Privacy Notice
From time to time, we may revise this Privacy Notice. Any such changes to this Privacy Notice will be promptly reflected on this page. Roche recommends that you review this Privacy Notice regularly for any changes. The date on which this notice was last revised is located at the top of this notice.
14. Contact Us: If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or the practices of this website, please contact us at 4300 Hacienda Dr., Pleasanton, CA 94588 or email@example.com.
PRIVACY NOTICE ADDENDUM
Effective July, 2018
PRIVACY NOTICE ADDENDUM FOR INDIVIDUALS ACCESSING THIS WEB SITE FROM THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA (INCLUDING THE EUROPEAN UNION) AND SWITZERLAND
With respect to data collected from individuals within the European Economic Area and Switzerland, "Personal Data" includes any information relating to an identified or Identifiable Natural Person. An "Identifiable Natural Person" is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
This web site collects certain information automatically concerning web site visitors, in order to track the number of visitors to our site, identify which pages are of greatest interest, and protect the site from malicious behavior. We collect this information for our legitimate business interests, namely, in order to understand aggregate web site statistics and protect web site security. Before collecting Personal Data for other purposes, such as for marketing, we will ask for your consent, in which case you will be presented with a choice as to whether you wish to allow the collection and use of your Personal Data for a specified purpose.
1. Your Rights With Respect to Your Personal Data
You have the right to the following information regarding Roche’s processing of your Personal Data:
- the purposes of the processing.
- the categories of Personal Data concerned.
- the recipients or categories of recipient to whom the Personal Data have been or will be disclosed.
- where possible, the envisaged period for which the Personal Data will be stored, or, if not possible, the criteria used to determine that period.
2. This notice is intended to provide all of this information. Any questions about these details may be directed to:
Florian Zabel, Chief Privacy Officer, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Group Legal, Grenzacherstrasse 124, CH-4070 Basel, Switzerland
3. You also have the following rights with respect to your Personal Data:
- The right to request access to the Personal Data that Roche has about you, as well as the right to request rectification of any data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to request a copy of your Personal Data in electronic format so that you can transmit the data to third parties, or to request that Roche directly transfer your Personal Data to one or more third parties.
- The right to object to the processing of your Personal Data for marketing and other purposes.
- The right to erasure of your Personal Data when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which you provided it, as well as the right to restriction of processing of your Personal Data to certain limited purposes where erasure is not possible. At any time, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove your name, contact information, and email address from the lists we use to send our mailings and contact you. Where permitted by law, we may retain a copy of your Personal Data, however, for our record-keeping purposes.
- The right to lodge a complaint with your supervisory authority where you believe that your rights have been violated.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact us at: Florian Zabel, Chief Privacy Officer, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Group Legal, Grenzacherstrasse 124, CH-4070 Basel, Switzerland
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, this Privacy Statement applies to F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd or F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd Websites.
Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
This website is owned and operated by Roche Sequencing Solutions, Inc. (“Roche”) located at 4300 Hacienda Dr., Pleasanton, CA 94588. Roche may update this notice at any time by publishing changes on this page. You should visit this page from time to time to review these updates.
What are cookies?
Cookies save you the trouble of reentering certain information in some registration areas, help to deliver content-specific information to you, and track which sections of the site are most popular. A 'cookie' is actually a file that our web server or the web server of one of our third-party partners may send to your computer when you access one of our sites. This file is then stored on your computer.
- After you have entered personal information into a form or data field on our site, cookies enable the site to 'remember' that information, should you so choose.
- Cookies and other passive information collection technologies enable us to deliver content that is tailored to your interests and preferences based on your past activity on the site.
- Cookies and other passive information collection technologies enable us to compile aggregate statistics concerning use of the site, analyze trends, and otherwise administer and improve the site.
What types of cookies and other tracking technologies do we use?
Our site may use the following types of cookies and tracking technologies, among others:
- "Session" cookies: Session cookies are temporary bits of information that are erased once you exit your web browser window or otherwise turn your computer off. Session cookies are used, for example, to improve navigation on our web sites, block visitors from providing information where inappropriate (e.g., the site may remember previous entries of age that are outside the permitted parameters and block subsequent changes) and to collect aggregated statistical information.
- "Persistent" cookies: Persistent cookies are more permanent bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer and stay there unless you delete the cookie. Persistent cookies store information on your computer for a number of purposes, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (e.g., Login ID), helping to determine what areas of the web site visitors find most valuable, and customizing the web site based on your preferences on an ongoing basis.
- "Web beacons" (also known as internet tags, single-pixel GIFs, clear GIFs, and invisible GIFs): A web beacon is a piece of software code on a web page or in an e-mail message that is used to track pages viewed or messages opened. Web beacons tell the web site server information such as the IP address and browser type related to the visitor's computer. Web beacons may be placed in online advertisements that bring people to our site and on different pages of our site. Web beacons provide us with information on how many times a page is opened and which information is consulted.
- Our site uses two Google Analytics Advertising Display Features, which are collect information through cookies: Remarketing with Google Analytics and Demographics and Interests reporting. If you would like to opt-out of having your data used by these cookies, please use the Google Analytics opt-out available here. Other information on opt-outs for targeted advertisement delivery is available below.
Why do we allow third-party partners to place cookies on your computer?
Like most advertisers, we place advertisements where we think they will be most relevant to customers. One way we do so is by allowing network advertising companies with whom we work to place their own cookies when an individual visits our site. This enables the network advertising company to recognize individuals who have previously visited our site. When the individual visits a third-party web site on which that network advertising company has purchased ad space, the advertising company can then recognize the individual’s interest in Roche products and services and deliver one of our advertisements.
How does our site respond to web browser "Do Not Track" signals?
Certain web browsers and other programs may be used to signal your preferences to Roche about how or whether Roche or third parties may collect information about your online activities. Currently, Roche does not respond to such signals.
What choices do you have regarding the delivery of targeted advertisements on third-party sites?
The Digital Advertising Alliance (www.AboutAds.info/choices) and European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (www.youronlinechoices.com) maintain websites where consumers can opt out from receiving interest-based advertising from some or all of the network advertising companies participating in the program.